Fee: €60 for adults and €30 for minors

You must apply for family reunification at the German embassy or consulate in your home country prior to entering Germany and only if your relative in Germany meets the requirements and you meet the requirements for family reunification. Apply by submitting the following documentation:

A filled out application form;
Recent passport picture;
A passport that is valid for at least 3 months and was issued no later than 10 years ago;
An invitation letter from the person residing in Germany;
Copies of your birth or marriage certificate;
Proof of German citizenship or the residence status of the family member already living in Germany;
Proof of health insurance valid from date of arrival (German Statutory/National or Private health insurance);
Proof of that the person residing in Germany have the financial means to support the family, this can for example be bank statements, pay slips and/or a letter from an employer; and
If you are required to meet the German language requirement, include a language certificate.

Your family reunification residence permit will generally be valid for at least one year with the possibility of extension. At any rate, it cannot last longer than the residence permit of the family member already living in Germany. In other words, as soon as the their permit expires, so will yours – unless you qualify for an independent settlement permit by then, normally after five years.

Please note that decisions are taken on a case by case basis and that additional documents, such as the below might be required in individual cases;

Copies of a police clearance certificate (Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis) from the authorities in your country of origin to prove the (absence of) any criminal records; and/or
A copy of the person residing in Germany’s tenancy contract (or other proof of accommodation).

After arriving in Germany you have to register with residents‘ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) where you live, you will thereafter be invited to the local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) where you will receive your residence permit.