Students can apply for entry to the UK for a course of study:

  • Under the points-based system: Tier 4 Students
  • Under the non points-based system: Short Term Study Visa

The route you choose will depend on your age, and on the length and level of the course that you want to study.

If you plan to study in the UK for more than 6 months, you must apply for permission to enter under Tier 4 of the Points-based System.

There are 2 categories under this Tier:

  1. General student: for post—16 education
  2. Child student: for students between 4 and 17 years of age

If your course of study is 6 months or under, you must apply for a visit visa under the non points-based system.