If you are a Commonwealth citizen and at least one of your grandparents was born in the UK, you have UK ancestry and can apply to come to the UK to work.

You can apply under this category if you can show that:

  • you are a Commonwealth citizen;
  • you are aged 17 or over;
  • you have a grandparent who was born in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man), or a grandparent who was born before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland;
  • you are able to work and you plan to work in the UK; and
  • you can adequately support and accommodate yourself and your dependants without help from public funds.

You must obtain permission to enter the UK on the basis of your UK ancestry from the country where you before you travel here.

If you are given permission to enter and work in the UK because of your UK ancestry, you will be allowed to stay for 5 years.

If you have lived and worked continuously in the UK for five years in this category, and if you still meet the UK ancestry requirements, you can apply to live here permanently.

If you do not want to settle here, you can apply to extend your stay instead, using form FLR(BID).