If you have young children attending school in the UK, you can apply for leave to stay with them for up to 12 months.

You can then extend the duration of your visa for 12 months at a time until your child reaches 12 years of age and as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements. In this case, you must apply for the extension while you’re still in the UK and at least 4 weeks before your original visa expires.

When your visa expires in either case, you can’t stay longer in the UK and you can’t switch to a different visa category. So, if your child continues to attend school in the UK without you, you must make arrangements for his or her care.

With this visa, you are not allowed to study, nor take paid work.



To qualify for this visa, you will need to prove your eligibility by providing the relevant documents that show evidence that:

  • you have enough money to support yourself and your children while in the UK;
  • you have a permanent home outside the UK;
  • you plan to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • you can cover the cost of your return or onward journey;
  • your child is under 12;
  • your child is studying at or is about to start studying at an independent fee-paying day school in the UK;
  • your child has a Tier 4 (Child) Visa or be in the category ‘students in the UK under the immigration rules in place before 31 March 2009’.

Documents required

Da riempire

Application fees

From 6 April 2017, the cost of this visa is £496. The extension of the visa for further 12 months costs £993 if you apply by post or £1,583 if you apply in person.