You can apply for a Family Visa as a parent to live in the UK together with your child if:

  • your child is under 18 when you apply, or has been under 18 when you first applied for the visa and does not live an independent life (e.g. your child has not left home, has not got married and had children); AND
  • your child either:
    • is a British citizen; or
    • has settled in the UK (has ‘indefinite leave to remain’ or proof of permanent residence); or
    • has lived in the UK for 7 years continuously and it wouldn’t be reasonable for them to leave and you are applying from the UK.
  • You have either:
    • Sole parental responsibility, or
    • Shared parental responsibility and the other parent is not your partner and is either a British citizen or settled in the UK.

You also need to prove that:

  • You have an active role in your child’s upbringing and you plan to continue after you apply
  • You have a good knowledge of English (KOL), unless exempt;
  • you will be able to maintain yourself and your child adequately without recourse to public funds.

If your application is successful, you will get permission to live and work here for a probationary period of up to 2.5 years, after which you will need to apply to extend your stay – Form FLR(FP).

After you have lived in the UK continuously for 5 years with leave to remain as a parent, you may apply for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’).