Tier 5 is designed to allow people to enter the UK for a limited period of time and carry out various types of work to satisfy primarily non-economic objectives.
You need to have an employer in the UK willing to sponsor you or, if you are a national of a country that participates in the Youth Mobility Scheme (Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Monaco, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan), your national government will be your sponsor.
Tier 3 is a temporary route, thus you will not be able to switch out of it once you are in the UK.
Tier 5 has 6 categories you can apply under:
- Temporary worker – Creative and sporting: for people coming to the UK to work or perform as sports people, entertainers or creative artists.
- Temporary worker – charity: for people coming to the UK to do voluntary work for charity, which is not paid work;
- Temporary worker – religious: for people coming to the UK to work temporarily as a religious worker;
- Temporary worker – government authorised exchange: for people coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice and experience the social and cultural life of the UK;
- Temporary worker – international agreement: for people coming to the UK under contract to do work that is covered under international law, including the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS), similar agreements between the UK and another country, employees of overseas governments and international organisations, and private servants in diplomatic households;
- Youth mobility scheme: for young people from participating countries who would like to experience life in the UK.
To be eligible to apply under Tier 5, you must have:
- a job offer from a licensed sponsor; and
- a valid certificate of sponsorship.
For all categories of Tier 5, you will need to score 40 points to be able to apply:
- 30 for attributes, that is for a certificate of sponsorship; and
- 10 points for maintenance funds.
Application forms and fees
To apply for entry under all categories of Tier 5 from outside the UK, you need to apply online.
To apply for permission to remain under PBS from inside the UK, you can either apply online or by post. In this case you need to fill out the Tier 5 application form (valid for all sub-categories).
The current application fees are:
- Main applicant
- £235 if you are applying by post or online in the UK
- £825 if you are applying in person inside the UK
- £235 if you are applying outside the UK
- If you are a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia
- £180 if you are applying by post or online in the UK
- £770 if you are applying in person inside the UK
- £180 if you are applying outside the UK
- £235 each if you are applying by post or online in the UK
- £825 each if you are applying in person inside the UK
- £235 each if you are applying outside the UK
Duration of visa and extension thereof
- Creative and sporting: maximum time: 12 months or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, which ever time is shorter.
- Charity workers: maximum time: 12 months or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, which ever time is shorter.
- Religious workers: maximum time: 24 months or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, which ever time is shorter.
- Government authorised exchange: maximum time: 24 months or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, which ever time is shorter.
- International agreement: maximum time: 24 months or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, which ever time is shorter; if you are providing a service under a contract as set out in the GATs or a similar trade agreement, you can stay only for 6 months in any 12 months period, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.
In all cases, you can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job.
Dependants accompanying a migrant under this category are not allowed to work.
Employers and institutions play a crucial part in making sure the system is not abused. Employers and institutions must apply for a licence to sponsor and bring migrants in to the United Kingdom, and meet a number of sponsorship duties.
All applicants in tiers 2 to 5 must give a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor when applying to come to the United Kingdom or for permission to stay.
Serious breaches of the rules may lead to sponsors being removed from the register of sponsors and prevented from employing migrant workers.
The Tier system has changed the Immigration and is designed to tighten Immigration control and to place better checks on migrants coming to the UK. The system is in its early changes and will be extended over time.
Sponsorship Undertaking Form (SU07)